Free State Flower Festival | South Africa


12 October - Parys is a small town in South Africa located in the Free State and about an hour from Johannesburg. Not a lot happens here and when there is an event the entire town shows up. The town hosted the first ever Free State Flower Festival this weekend. So of course I and the entire town - went.

The festival had performances on Friday, a parade Saturday afternoon and performances again the evening. It was raining both the Friday and Saturday night so my parents I only went to the parade. We decided to walk to the parade seeing as we live near the centre of town. The main street had been blocked of and arenas were placed along both sides of the street. People were already gathering and getting places to stand when we arrived an hour early.

After a very long wait the parade finally started. The parade was made of groups of Portuguese people in their traditional clothes, five different floats with colour schemed flowers and people dancing. It was festive and colourful. I quite enjoyed it, especially the amazing smoothie I had afterwards. When all the floats arrived at the destination the flowers could be taken. It was a savage scene, watching people grasp at different flowers, trying to hold on to those they already had and asking people with longer arms to help them out. My mom and I also managed to get some flowers between the chaos and I’m happy to say they brighten up our house now.

The event was enjoyable (except for the sun) and entertaining. It was however not well planned, but I believe they’ll make up for the mistakes next year and it will be an even greater success.
























Felicia
xoxo



No comments:

Post a Comment