Comic Strip Museum | Brussels | Belgium

Belgium isn’t only famous for its chocolate, waffles and beer, but also for its comics. Some world famous comics originate from Belgium, like Smurfs and Tin Tin. This also means that I Belgium experience would not be complete without going to the comic book museum in Brussels.

My friend and I set out to Brussels on Saturday morning. On our way to the museum we stopped at Waterstones and did a bit of sightseeing. The museum was in an old beautiful building which made the comics and illustrations stand out even more. The museum was partly a gallery which meant reading and observing went hand in hand.

There were a huge variety of comics, some I’ve never even heard of. There were darker ones and humorous ones, some for kids and some for adults. The part of Boeke was very funny. The short wordless comics had some dark and ironic humour. It was worth observing each one and I laughed out loud quite a few times (I wasn’t the only one).


One of my favourites was an illustration from the movie Blue is the Warmest Colour. The movie took my breath away and gave me new love for art movies. It was so real and captivating that I still find myself daydreaming about it sometimes. The illustration was Emma with her blue hair and a bare back, just enough to give a glimpse of all the elements which make up the piece of art and the meaning behind it.

Three other favourites were on the second landing. They were all related to the building in different ways. The one was of an angel blowing fire, a devil girl who had pushed down a sculpture and an old Victorian scene of the buildings steps. They were so unique and pleasurable to look at.

The comic art I enjoyed the most was by Frank Pé. The main comic was Zoo which had a lot of animals and intriguing characters. Even though I don’t like zoos, the artist made it look to inviting. It had a hint of Tarzan style elements and the rest was wild animals and bright colour, all coming together in a natural way.

The funniest painting in the museum was of a dog with a happy face. I laughed for about five minutes because it was one of those artworks you just shake your head at. Afterwards we headed for the museum shop where there were a variety of comics and comic related items. We then headed across the street to another museum, this one being very small and not so interesting unless you actually know the comics and like sports.

I recommend going to the comic museum when in Brussels, especially if you grew up with Tin Tin or other comics. It’s interesting to see the history behind drawings and words. Be sure to read my next post about what we did the rest of the day.





































Felicia 
xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment