The Problem with Comparing

Comparing is natural. Everyone does it and with everything. We compare prices, people, situations, places, food and ourselves – to only name a few. When comparing, we often feel we need to choose between this and that, like buying from the cheap shop which is further away or the expensive one which is nearby. Comparing can be helpful, but unfortunately I have been using it in the wrong way.


I was walking in the Streets of Ghent on Sunday when I realised I was feeling quite miserable. Most people would say it is home sickness, but that’s not the case. After some thinking I realised what had caused the change in my emotions. I Au paired  in the Netherlands, Amsterdam for a year which was the greatest year of my life (so far) in the most wonderful city in the world (forever). As soon as I arrived I had already started comparing that experience with this one and also Ghent with Amsterdam. It was taking a toll on me; I was comparing the simplest things, like bus schedules, people, shops and a few other things. I was becoming more negative with every step I took.

I ended up in Citadelpark where I wandered around, trying to avoid people. That’s when I started to think about what I was doing (except walking and breathing) I was ruining the experience before it even started. So I stopped my negative comparisons and thoughts. I started handling Belgium as its own country (which it is) and this year as a new one. Comparing made me only see the bad side of everything and stopping made me see the good. I can now having an adventure without thinking of what could have made it better like a previous adventure. I’m excited to have new experiences and treat them as new ones without thinking about how another experience was better. The current situation is unique, treat it that way!

So when you are travelling or you’re in some situation or whatever, try not to compare. It wastes time and energy which could have rather been used in a different, more useful way. Yes, it is still good to sometime compare, but try to keep it at a minimal, especially when it’s something as irrelevant as choosing between going left or right. You can always go the other way next time. Every experience is unique and different, don’t try to make it the same. (I hope that made sense to someone except me).

Stop comparing and start living!

Felicia

xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment