Forgiving My Parents & Society | Vegan Thoughts


I’ve been seeing a lot of videos lately where children start crying when their parents explain that the food on their plate was a living animal once. Seeing the emotions on the faces of these children is something worth seeing. It is so raw and full of emotion that it makes me angry. Not angry at the children, but at society who doesn’t believe in explaining where most animal products come from.

From a small age we are taught that we are eating meat, milk, eggs and fish. We make the connection, but not entirely. If you showed a child what the animal went through to end up on the plate, they will end up crying. They will ask “why?” And why they shouldn’t. Children are brainwashed from a young age, they are told the truth without explanation. I recently made the connection.  I realised that the meat, dairy, fish and eggs come from animals. Those animals are kept in dreadful places and fed just to serve as food for humans.  This process doesn’t even need to be explain, the mere thought that the living animal outside can end up on the plate is enough to make a child’s think.

If you tell a child and they still want to eat meat, that’s fine. But not telling them at all seems like a lie. As an Au pair I make meals for the child. Most evenings I would make bacon or chicken to eat. He would sit and enjoy it. I would think; “does this child know he is eating a dead animal?” It bothers me, because it feels like I’m part of the lie. That I’m lying to him every time a place a animal product in front of him. He is already a part of a society he doesn’t even know about.

This is where the sad part comes in – I can’t tell him. I cannot tell the child the entire truth that is the job of his parents. Will they tell him and help him see the connection? Probably not. This is the problem; if more parents could at least give their child a choice before deciding for them it would help a lot. It would help the child and his or her future. It will help the animals and the plant where the child needs to grow up in.

I’m not saying parents are wrong, I’m saying society is. We all get brainwashed by media about what is healthy and not. We also pass the habits of the previous generation onto the new generations. How can anyone grow and evolve if they can’t make decisions of their own?

I wish my parents had told me and given me the option of eating animal products. I don’t blame them that they didn’t, because that was the way they were raised, and that is the society they were part of. Everyone deserves to know what animals go through and everyone deserves to decide how they want to respond to it. My way of responding was veganism. I wish I had become a vegan sooner, but I’m glad that I finally got to this point. The decision was mine and making it has already influenced so many aspects of my life is a positive way.

Felicia
xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment