Christmas Eve | Belgium

Growing up our household, my parents and I never celebrated Christmas. It was just another holiday, but when I was in the Netherlands for my previous Au pair year that changed. I was thrown into the holiday and Christmas spirit. Then last year back home I told my parents we should at least have a Christmas dinner, they agreed and it turned out to be quite successful and fun. None of those two compare to the festive vibes this year.

I’ve started to like Christmas more and more, from the food to the decorations. So when I was invited to a Christmas dinner with my host parents I got really excited. We drove all the way to Bavikhove, a small town in Belgium I’ve never heard about, to the grandmother who was hosting the dinner party. 


The house was old and antique and I felt my Christmas wishes come true when I stepped into the living area where a big Christmas tree was standing next to a marvellous fire place. Champagne was served and taking commenced. I’m proud to say I spoke Dutch and was actually understood. Soon after presents were being passed around and opened. To my surprise I received three gifts. The first was a lovely body wash which smells divine. The seconds was a Star Wars Yoda clock and the third a Darth Vader flash drive key ring. I was so shocked and excited when I opened the Star Wars gifts; I had to tell my inner fan girl to calm down. It was great to receive something which I love so much and it made me appreciate my host parents even more.

The children at first and after some coaxing and time it was time for the adults to eat. My host mom mentioned to her mother that I was vegan, so like the good host that she was she made sure I didn’t have to consume any animal products. While they ate crab for starter I had delicious pumpkin soup.

Afterwards we talked some more with Christmas music in the back ground before the main course. They had some meat which I assumed was duck or chicken with a small serving of vegetable and croquettes, while I had a plate of vegetables; string beans, tomatoes, chicory (for the first time and it was delicious) and broccoli. It was such a good and tasty meal and I was thankful that I could eat without having to worry about what I placed in my mouth. By the time we had dessert it was really late and the children were all sleeping. The dessert consisted of a small warm piece of apple cake with ice cream (mine was without). Soon after coffee and tea was served with some treats of chocolate and macaroons.

Overall the night was great and unforgettable.  I’m so happy that I finally had the Christmas Eve I’ve always dreamt about. It was festive and had everything a great Christmas Eve dinner should have; good food, lovely people, presents, stunning décor, Christmas music and festive vibes. I hope everyone had a wonderful Christmas Eve as well!










Felicia
xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment